6.5 PDUs - Category A
Course 1 - The Basics of Delegation - 1.5 Hours
Overview / Description:
Do you feel that there are just not enough hours in the day? Are you always striving to keep ahead of the paperwork that litters your desk? Perhaps it is time to consider sharing some of those tasks with your skilled employees. As you progress through this "Delegation Basics" course in the "Effective Delegation" series, you will discover what delegating is all about, what you need to do to prepare for and implement this process, and how to ensure that you and your employees will effectively complete those delegated tasks. By participating in this course, you will discover how delegating tasks can enhance and accentuate your management skills.
The Basics of Delegation
- recognize the benefits of knowing the importance of delegating.
- identify the impact of delegation on a manager.
- identify the advantages that delegation can provide for your employees.
- identify the effects of delegation on the organization.
- identify the value of effectively preparing for the delegation of tasks.
- identify reasons why an individual might hesitate to delegate tasks.
- determine the appropriate delegating style, for a given scenario.
- match the four delegating styles to examples.
- identify attitudes of an effective delegator.
- identify the value of understanding different components of delegation.
- identify skills used in the delegation of tasks.
- identify the attributes of a delegated task.
- identify the characteristics of tasks that can be effectively delegated.
- identify examples of the elements of a delegated task.
Course 2 - Delegation: the Personal Approach - 2.5 Hours
Overview / Description:
Have you delegated tasks only to later find out that the task wasn't completed properly or that it wouldn't be completed on time? Perhaps you need to reevaluate your delegation skills. This course will help you work more effectively with employees in a delegation situation. As you progress through the "Delegation: the Personal Approach" course, you will discover several important factors about delegation--how you can benefit from a shared commitment to a delegated task, how to identify confident and motivated employees, and how the knowledge of common delegating problems can help you become an effective delegator. By participating in this course, you will be prepared to overcome many obstacles in the delegation process.
Delegation: the Personal Approach
- recognize the benefits of understanding appropriate attitudes regarding delegation.
- identify ways to demonstrate personal commitment when delegating a task.
- select the appropriate solution to help an employee overcome resistance in a delegating scenario.
- recognize reasons why employees may not accept delegated tasks.
- choose the most appropriate employee to whom to delegate a task, given a scenario.
- identify the characteristics that constitute a positive attitude toward delegation.
- recognize the benefits of encouraging cooperation in delegation.
- maintain the confidence of a specified employee during the administration of a delegated task.
- identify methods for maintaining the confidence of an employee during the administration of a delegated task.
- use the appropriate technique for motivating a specific employee who has been delegated a task, given a scenario.
- recognize techniques for motivating an employee who has been delegated a task.
- identify reasons for giving credit to an employee for the successful completion of a delegated task.
- recognize the benefits of responding effectively to problems that arise when delegating.
- recognize the signs of a failing delegation.
- match the common delegation problems with the corresponding symptoms.
- solve a given problem that has occurred by applying the problem-solving steps in sequence within a delegation situation.
- sequence the process for problem solving when given a scenario.
- sequence the steps for taking corrective action, given a scenario.
Course 3 - Managing Delegation -3.0 Hours
Overview / Description:
Do you want to increase your effectiveness as a delegator? Are you unsure of how much control and feedback you need to implement when delegating tasks? Then this course will help you achieve those goals. As you proceed through this "Managing Delegation" course in the "Effective Delegation" series, you will gain valuable insight into several areas including change management, decision making, and developing performance standards. You will also acquire skills in supervising, empowering, and providing effective feedback in a monitored situation. By participating in this course, you will become a proficient manager of a delegated environment.
- recognize the benefits of being familiar with the tasks involved in delegation.
- identify examples of types of decisions that occur in delegation.
- identify examples in which a given manager could effectively manage change through delegation.
- identify criteria of effective performance measures in delegation.
- determine the appropriate performance standards, given a scenario.
- identify examples of the guidelines for establishing performance standards.
- identify the benefits of understanding how to correctly manage the delegation of a task.
- determine the type of empowerment necessary for given delegated tasks.
- match the employee empowering modes of authority with examples.
- choose the appropriate degree of authority to assign to a specified individual.
- match degrees of delegated authority to examples of each.
- identify examples of common types of mistakes made when delegating authority.
- recognize the benefits of monitoring employees' progress as they perform delegated tasks.
- recommend the degree of supervision required for a specified individual given a delegated task.
- match the degrees of supervision to examples.
- identify examples of the three steps for monitoring progress in delegation.
- apply the guidelines to effectively provide feedback to a delegated employee, in a given scenario.
- identify examples of the guidelines for giving effective feedback.
Course 4 - Delegating Effectively Simulation - 0.5 Hours
Overview / Description:
In this simulation, the learner will assume first-time management responsibilities, serving as the department lead of a marketing team for First Things First--a manufacturer of child safety products. Working closely with three key employees, the learner will progress through the various stages of delegation, moving from assignment of tasks to overcoming delegation resistance. The simulation is comprised of four scenarios; each will cover a facet of the delegation process. Based on the Effective Delegation series, this simulation has links to the following courses: mgmt_07_a01_bs_enus, mgmt_07_a02_bs_enus and mgmt_07_a03_bs_enus.
Delegating Effectively Simulation
- overcoming stumbling blocks to delegation.
- creating the perfect delegated task.
- employing the proper motivating techniques.
- establishing measures of performance in delegation.
- developing performance standards in delegation.
- developing the proper delegating style.
- demonstrating the proper delegating attitudes.
- demonstrating your commitment to delegation.
- tapping into employee potential.
- avoiding delegation mistakes.
- uncovering causes for resistance to delegation.
- demonstrating ways to overcome delegation resistance.